Where’s the blog, man?!
Alright, I’ll ‘fess up! I’ve been a little negligent in my o-“blog”-ations recently (I’m sorry, that was terrible). The bad news is that I’m on a bit of a summer hiatus. The good news is that I’ve been spending the time I usually devote to blogging working on some projects and collaborations that will hopefully see the light of day in the not-too-distant future. I’ve also been compiling a list of blog ideas that has me excited to sit down and share with you guys and gals. As always, I am enormously grateful to all of you who have checked out the site and responded with your comments and feedback, either here on the site or “IRL”, one-on-one. Every bit of encouragement, criticism, and enthusiasm that you bring here makes this a superior site, and I thank you for it.
I am still very much trying to get a hang of how to market this site and get everyone’s attention without becoming an obnoxious carnival barker. It’s a delicate balance between nudging people’s attention and pissing them off by yelling in their ear too loudly, and it struck me that I’ve probably been a little too quiet and subtle in letting folks know about new content. I think some very good posts that I am personally proud of ended up getting buried or overshadowed in the process, and so this week, I thought, why not bring a little attention back to them?
If you’ve already read all these posts, then high-five! You deserve a cookie and a pint of beer. If you missed some of these entries the first time around, now’s a great opportunity to catch up before I return with new content. And if you’re altogether new to the site, this is a solid starting place to understand the gist of this site in miniature. I think these five posts really sum up the range of content I foresee OCONNOBLOG covering in the future.
And so, without further adieu, the five best entries of OCONNOBLOG… so far:
- Keeping it Reel: How important is writing and acting to a film? I argue, “not very,” in this blog post about the literal “magic” of film, as I recount a little film history and identify what elements are truly integral to good filmmaking.
- The Death of Style: Craft brewers saved beer, but left unchecked, could they destroy it too? This blog post considers beer “styles” and questions the repercussions of craft brewers’ palate-fatiguing antics.
- Why Write (When You Could Be Drinking Instead)? Writing is fucking hard. And it’s frustrating. And hell, most of the time, I’d rather be out with friends drinking beer. So why do I do it? Why do you do it? Why do we do it?
- REVIEW: Sin Titulo by Cameron Stewart: My first and so far only review on OCONNOBLOG, this original graphic novel so entranced me that I knew I needed to get the word out about it as soon as possible.
- Going Batty: My obsessive compulsive disorder goes into overdrive when confronted with the impossible task of recommending eight essential Batman stories.